Sunday, June 18, 2017

Wonder Woman Movie Review

As a feminist, I felt like it was almost an obligation to support the new Wonder Woman movie. 
And I'm glad I did. It was great! Do I think it deserves its current 92% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes? Probably not, but for a comic superhero, summer popcorn movie, it's heads above many others. No wonder people are raving about it. It has a solid plot, good humor, and I liked the character development for Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot fit the role VERY well, and she is one beautiful woman. I couldn't stop staring at her! I know she is already a natural beauty, but kudos to her makeup artist for elevating her looks to goddess (ha ha...pun intended) level. And Wonder Woman's theme song is fabulous! If you have not heard it, Google it please. Soooooo good. 

And I loved how Wonder Woman fought alongside Chris Pine's character to defeat the villain(s). As a feminist film, I thought it projected a positive message about womanhood and strength. 

Having said that, I recognize that the movie preached a type of feminism in which positive womanhood is to be found outside of the home, and alongside men "in the trenches" (literally and figuratively). A very typical "Western liberal" feminist slant to the movie, but you know what? Considering that this is the first standalone female superhero comic movie, I'm not going to gripe about this. And also because I agree that positive womanhood can be found outside of the home, as well as in the home. If I have daughters, I'm going to teach them that there are different forms and types of female empowerment, and this film showed one of them.

What I was not okay with the movie was:
- The inappropriate shot which showed a naked Chris Pine covering his penis with his hand. TOTALLY UNNECESSARY and WHY?! I was disappointed that the director made the choice to keep this shot in. You have been warned. 

- The unnecessary dirty jokes. I'm not referring to the part (SPOILER) where Wonder Woman saw Chris Pine in all his birthday suit, and asked, "Are you average for a man?" as she looked at his man parts in puzzlement. This part was fine because it was a form of "innocent humor"-- it's her first time seeing a man in her life after all! So this joke, I could accept. But there were other dirty jokes that made me go, this is NOT okay for little children. 

- The CGI during the fight scenes. Eww. 

- The last fight scene was a paradoxically messy epic battle. 

- Some minor details that didn't make sense. 

Would I recommend it? Yes. You don't have to rush to watch it, and you can wait till it hits the dollar theater, but it is definitely worth watching at least once. No young children though. Only appropriate for audiences who know what the birds and bees are. 

Have you guys seen the movie? Let me know your thoughts if you did!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! I'm glad it was positive overall, but I think I'll pass on seeing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog- I really appreciate it. Please remember to always be courteous and respectful when leaving a comment. Thank you.